Wednesday, January 12, 2011

"Third times the charm".. or at least more interesting.

I take back my statement from yesterdays post...
I have now seen my first dead body.
I realized today that by the time I meet these people, they are no longer human bodies, they are mannequins.
I went in today to do another client of the funeral home. (still struggling with what to "call" what I am doing.... suggestions are welcome)
Everything was just as it had been before...
Quiet.
Sterile.
Cold.
Then the back door opened up with a delivery. A delivery of a human body. A very old woman who had just passed away that morning. The two boys who had picked her up, seemed very shocked that I was going to be in the back room with them. It wasn't till I saw, and realized the difference between the dead bodies I had been handling, and the "fresh" dead body they were unloading, that I understood why they thought I may want to leave the room. In my head I was thinking, "I'll see her in a few days anyway... whats the big deal?!" It wasn't a big deal, but different, and somewhat shocking compared to what I had just gotten used to.
Still... didn't freak me out.
I was now in the back room with a woman who looked like she was taking a nap before attending a very nice dinner with her husband at Houllihans, and a woman that looked as if, well, she had just died.
The difference was alarming to me, and eye opening all at the same time. I fully understood the service that the funeral home, and myself are doing for the families. Because today, for the first time in my life, I saw that death is not pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment